Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Flashback: My first days in France (Part 2)

I find it amusing that I am trying to reminisce about my first days in France to be able to continue my blog about it. Since I already published the first part of what I think will be a series, I might as well continue what I started.

One of the first places I went to upon arriving in France, was the Jardin du Luxembourg. My friend, who also happens to be my roommate, brought me there because she had a tough time at work and needed to unwind. Apparently, hanging out in the park was a common way of spending time to relax here in France and the French has in fact made it a way of life.


There are numerous wrought-iron chairs scattered throughout the park, and the French, locals and tourists alike are able to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of the place. Having taken these pictures during the onset of spring in France, I was lucky to get a good dose of sunshine. It was a bright sunny day, and albeit the occasional cold gust of wind, people flocked to the garden to enjoy the warm rays of the sun.


Amidst the flower beds and lush areas of grass are fountains, small ponds, and monuments scattered all-over the park. Moreover, statues of French queens, saints, and various sculptured work also add charm to the surrounding main area of the garden.



The upkeep of the garden is superb, and who would have thought that it was initially completed in 1625, and has kept it's present area of land since 1790. It was Marie de Medicis who had the Palais and the Garden built as her residence after her husband, Henri IV was assassinated. As of date, the Fontaine Medicis (located in the garden but not in the photos) is said to be all that was left of the original grotto built in 1630.


The photo below shows the Palais du Luxembourg which houses the Senate and is located in the vicinity of the said jardin/garden. The said palais is open to the locals and tourists alike who wish to witness public hearings. The Musee du Luxembourg like the Palais du Luxembourg is located along rue de vaugirard.


The Jardin du Luxembourg is located in the 6th arrondissement (district) of Paris and can be found along the streets of Boulevard St.Michel, Rue du Vaugirard, Rue Auguste-Comte, and Rue Guynemer.


Jardin du Luxembourg
7.30 am - 8.15 pm

Palais du Luxembourg
15 rue de vaugirard
Phone: 0331 42 34 20 00

Musee du Luxembourg
19 rue du vaugirard
Metro: Odeon / RER: Luxembourg
Phone: 01 42 34 25 95
M,F 10.30 am - 10 pm / T,TH, Sat. 10.30 am - 7 pm / Sun. 9 am - 7 pm


Sources:
Luxembourg Gardens. http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one?public_place_id=39
Paris For You: Walking guide for discovering paris 2008-2009. Published by Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau.







No comments:

Post a Comment