Friday, July 24, 2009

Sleepless in Paris: Lucky stars


Waiting for something to happen is hard enough, and knowing that luck or fate may play a crucial part in it is even scarier. I am more convinced of this after I finished watching Woody Allen's movie Match Point. The movie begins with an explanation of the game of life and a game of tennis, where there is a moment when the ball hits the net and for a brief period of suspense you don't know if it will go forward or backward---and "if you're lucky it goes forward."

As soon as I finished typing the intro paragraph to this blog post however, I remember my recent bible study sessions and how blessedness is emphasized. We are taught about how faith influences the events in our lives, and why things we usually attribute to luck are actually referred to as blessings from the Lord.

We often ask: "Did I just get lucky or is there a purpose to all of this?"; or "Is there a reason behind this bad case of luck?". Either way, we wonder if luck is all there is to having or not having our way through life.

If I were to blog on a Christian point of view, I will eliminate luck in the equation and I will replace it with God's favor. However, I am not about to further confuse myself and get lost in a web of explanation.

All that I am sure at this very second, is that I can't seem to get any sleep and I feel the need to add something to this blog and the first thing that popped in my head is this topic.

Nonetheless, I leave you with a hanging question: If you don't believe in luck, will you still be interested in betting on the Lotto?






No comments:

Post a Comment